I am going to write about what defines hegemonic African American identity in the 21st century because I want to find out the history of societal black judgement in order to help my reader better understand why blacks feel the need to judge and legitimize blackness and what steps can be made to counteract black ostracism.
Anywho...
My topic will engage the reader in asking why judgement within races exist. Every race and culture has defining characteristics that are used in identifying something and someone familiar or abnormal. Face value is not enough or dedication in some instances is not enough to save people from ridicule. Why are blacks so judgmental of what they don't understand?
What spakred my own interest was my personal experience being ostracized by students when I was younger. I was teased for everything from my clothes, my hair; but the one thing I detested more was being critiqued on my blackness. My hair and clothes I could attempt to change, but changing my dialect; the way I spoke, or my opinion of things that mattered would have altered who I was. I liked that I was unique and I didn't want to alter that, I wanted to highlight that I was different. In doing so I pulled away from my race for a while and hung out with other races that weren't judgmental and other black people that had also been 'kicked out'.
My topic concerning African American hegemony dates back to desegregation and the introduction of equality and white students in the black social sphere (268 McWhorter). I will describe other social theories of why this dilemma within the African American social construct exists so the reader can understand the many eyes that have been emersed and are following the topic.
McWhorter, John. Winning The Race: Beyond the Crisis in Black. New York: Gotham Books. 2005. Print.
I think you've done a really excellent job in picking and grounding your topic. I can't wait to read the paper and hear more about your progress. Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteAdding your personal experiences to your paper will really make it come alive. I can't wait to read your research on this topic. I especially like your Z statement, "why blacks feel the need to judge and legitimize blackness." I never thought of it that way but it's a great "why" question? It's like, why do we constantly have to prove ourselves by acting a certain way or being interested in specific things in order to belong? Can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeleteI think your topic is one of my favorites. Like I stated before,this has always been a curiousity of mine. I too can not wait to read your paper.
ReplyDeleteI really like that this is a personal paper for you, beyond the academic side! I also think there is a stereotypical idea of "blackness", from dressing to speech, that people of all races think exists. Perhaps you could also touch upon how other races try to adopt so-called "blackness"
ReplyDeleteI think this is going to be really awesome. People should never feel that they have to change who they are because of others who are not accepting of who they are, and adding in your personal experience makes it that much more tangible and true.
ReplyDeleteI admire your personal twist to this subject, and I think that even though we try to deny racial stereotypes, they exist and need to be recognized. I am glad that your paper will provide us with the opportunity to acknowledge them and help end them.
ReplyDeleteGood work. I think it's good to be personal for your first topic, helps establish your own identity. Once you've discovered what essentially makes you, you can begin to study and appreciate the differences of others.
ReplyDeleteThe topic still seems a little broad for me. It seems from your personal experience you could focus on the effects of race on child development or public schools. I definitely had my racial identity play out differently during the school years. Because I looked Hispanic, I was easily accepted and played with Hispanic kids in Elementary school. When I got older, I ended up hanging out with the Asian cliques because I'm actually half Japanese. Once I entered college race became less of an issue, and I would find friends and acceptance more on interests and preferences.
Or since this is American Studies, you can emphasize why the effects of being "kicked out" of your race could be a significant social phenomenon in America or in Suburban regions. Actually you should probably address that either way.
You talk about legitimizing blackness and that makes me think of how blacks who cover with stereotypical white behaviors are often ostracized in society. Thinking about the 2008 presidential election a lot of commentators question whether Obama was black enough to be African American.
ReplyDeleteI feel as though your experience with the issue will be really helpful. Like my presentation, qualitative information with be very influential in your research! I would definitely make sure to make that a prominent portion in your writings. I feel as though it really sparks the readers attention.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone who has said that your personal experience will bring a lot to this topic. Perhaps you could tie it in with the issues of bullying/ostracism that are in the spotlight these days?
ReplyDelete