Thursday, December 1, 2011

AMST 300 Abstract


Black Pass Discrepancies (272)
Definitions of Blackness in 21st Century African America

This dissertation examines the conflicting meanings of what is black in the 21st century. Beyond skin, this awareness encompasses and influences speech, clothing, and attitude. Deviations within the hegemonic framework of expectations is ostracized and denied full inclusion of black unity from some social groups. The post-Civil Rights generation asserts validation and status with affinity to specific styles and name brand loyalty. I will examine group identification models to support the mechanics that go into racial formation of African Americans. I will also use ethnographic excerpts of how black people view stigmas of ‘acting black’ and ‘acting white’. Popular items in fashion and technology will be reviewed for their significance to defining what black means to some people. These varying meanings have hampered the progression of blacks socially as a whole and continue the social hierarchical constraints whites enacted upon blacks pre Civil Rights. This dissertation suggests that after the Civil Rights era, blacks began emulating celebrities and other blacks that had success, money, and respect instead of activists and political pioneers. Why is a black person criticized for not liking things that most people like? Why is denying blackness and inferring whiteness a response to something different within the culture? Since the Civil Rights era, blacks are included in pop culture, as business entrepreneurs, and stars embodying personal success. Later generations are detached from the struggle for inequality and those that never get ostracized do not see the injustice within the racial dynamic of who is real, fake, or non-existent according to the favored majority.  Awareness of disunity and what is acceptable in confronting differences is essential to equalizing racial cognizance.  

11 comments:

  1. Excellent!! Maybe you can expand on the idea popular items in fashion (what kind, how do you think this will be significant). I don't remember hearing about this in your paper but I think it's a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome abstract. You did a really good job of explaining your topic but not giving everything away. Sounds like the beginning of an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds great! I'm definitely interested to know the answers to the questions within your abstract.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bang up job. Provided context and related your topic to the popular theories and terms of American Studies. Stated your importance and posed the possible questions your paper addresses and proposes. nice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job overall, I think you gave just enough information about what your paper is going to entail. Your topic is very important and the abstract will definitely catch people's attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your topic. I think this will braoden the minds of the many ignorant people in this world. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great abstract, it was concise, contained intellectual thought, and the prose was excellent. Will be looking forward to your final presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. very precise, great questions to consider, and very grounded in time and space....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awsome. After reading this i know exactly what you plan to discuss and how you plan to discuss it. It is very relevant, clear, and organized. VERY nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This abstract definitely give insight to what the research proposal will be about. I'm not left wondering what different sentences mean in terms of your topic.

    However, I'm going to challenge your statement that black people are criticized for not liking things that most people like. What do you define as most people, and what things do most people like that blacks don't? I guess in my mind, every race, every individual is criticized for liking or disliking something. For example, I just bought myself a binary watch (math nerd-ish) and I love it, but some of my friends judge me for wanting a watch that is super freaking awesome. This was totally irrelevant and mostly rhetorical.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is a great preview of what is to come throughout your proposal and paper. It gave me great insight and made me really interested to see what you come up with, along with giving enough context to not leave me completely in the dark. Good work!

    ReplyDelete